Thursday 4 July 2013

Some helpful things to know about writing a Children's book.

To be honest, before I wrote my first children's book, I really had no idea which age group I was writing for or  how I was going to get it published! I hadn't the foggiest idea how to get people to hear about my books. Coming to think of it, there was a whole bunch of stuff I didn't quite know about getting a book out... I simply wrote just because I had this burning desire to say something to kids. Problem was once I finished, I couldn't clearly define who my "real" target audience was! Like that wasn't enough, I didn't know what I could do to get the word out there that my books exist. Well here's what Writing Children's Books for Dummies by Lisa Rojany Buccieri, Peter Economy has to say about that! 

Let's start with some cost effective ways you can promote your books. Mind you, there are more methods to consider, but here's the basic that will surely get you going in the right direction:



How to Promote Your Children's Book

After you've written a children's book, you have to sell it — you didn't spend all that time and effort just to entertain yourself, did you? Try to accomplish one of the following tasks each week to help your labor of love blossom to life in the marketplace:
  • Add new content weekly to your website or blog to keep it fresh.
  • Explore live readings in bookstores, schools, or libraries.
  • Submit your book for an award or prize—or ask the publisher to do so.
  • Consider creating a trailer for your book and an interview with yourself to post on YouTube.
  • Use Facebook, Twitter, and other social media to keep fans updated on professional news related to your book or your writing (or illustrating).

For your info, here are some age ranges your children's book can fit into. 



Age Levels for Children's Books

If you're writing a children's book, it pays to be familiar with how publishers classify them. Publishers generally assign age groups for readers of various formats as set out in the following list:
  • Board books: Newborn to age 3
  • Picture books: Ages 3–8
  • Coloring and activity (C&A) books: Ages 3–8
  • Novelty books: Ages 3 and up, depending on content
  • Early, leveled readers: Ages 5–9
  • First chapter books: Ages 6–9 or 7–10
  • Middle-grade books: Ages 8–12
  • Young adult (YA) novels: Ages 12 and up or 14 and up
It's okay to veer off a year or so in either direction when assigning a target audience age range to your work

Hope this was helpful. Learn the differences and stay true to your work!! 


Good Luck & Happy writing!! 



You can get tons of helpful tips on this link: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/writing-childrens-books-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html






No comments:

Post a Comment